Motor Vehicle Tax Bill Changes
As a courtesy, the Department of Motor Vehicles sends a list of all the vehicles registered to the Town of Essex on October 1, to the Assessor’s Office. We hope you will find the following information helpful should you have a concern or need a change on a motor vehicle assessment. If you have placed the same marker plates on a new vehicle, DMV will notify our office of that change.
Notify the Assessor’s Office in the event of a totaled, sold, or stolen vehicle, or address change to ensure that you will receive any credit that is due on a vehicle which you turned in the marker plates. The DMV will not automatically forward the information. All documentation must be dated and include the vehicle identification number (VIN).
TWO FORMS OF PROOF ARE REQUIRED
Item #1 Marker Plate/Registration cancellation receipt from the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles.
Item #2 Any one (1) of the following:
Bill of sale
Transfer of title
Purchase agreement showing the vehicle as a trade-in
Police report of a stolen vehicle which was not recovered
Insurance statement of cancellation which must include the date cancelled, year, make, model, and VIN#
Receipt from the junk yard
Out of state registration
Please note that per CGS 12-71c any application for credit must be submitted by December 31st following the end of the next assessment year in which the situation occurred. For example, if you have a vehicle on the 10/01/2014 Grand List that was sold some time prior to September of 2015, you must ask for an adjustment before December 31, 2016.
- Abutters Information
- Address Changes
- Board of Assessment Appeals Information
- Business / Personal Property Information
- Does the Town offer any kind of tax assistance to seniors?
- Downloadable Forms
- Essex GIS Mapping (works best with Chrome Browser)
- How do I appeal my taxes?
- Important Dates and Miscellaneous Information
- M-3 Tax Exempt Return Charitable and certain Other Organizations
- Motor Vehicle Tax Bill Changes
- Tax Deferral Program
- Tax Relief for Elderly and Totally Disabled Persons
- Vision Appraisal Essex Real Estate Database