Hours of Operation
To schedule a confidential intake appointment, please call anytime Tuesdays & Wednesdays 9a-12:30p.m, Thursdays 9a-12n. You may also call to schedule an after-hours appointment if needed. For those who are unable to come to our offices, Home visits may be requested as needed.
Mary Ellen Barnes
Veterans Service Contact
The mission of the Department of Social Services is to enhance the quality of life of Essex residents through support in meeting basic human needs and promoting services that foster self-sufficiency and economic independence.
We connect you to the essential resources of the community. These resources provide the support you may need, such as food, shelter, educational and employment opportunities, personal safety and access to health care services. The available services are diverse and support all ages.
- F.I.S.H. - Friends in Service Here
- The Connecticut Department of Social Services website provides information on a variety of assistance programs for families with children, elders, people with disabilities, people with HIV/AIDS, and other adults.
- The HUSKY program provides health care for uninsured kids and youth in Connecticut.
- 211-InfoLine-Connecting Connecticut residents to community health and human resources.
- Birth to Three - Offers home based developmental evaluations and family centered early intervention support for families with child development concerns.
- CT Department of Aging - can provide resources on programs for the elderly and a "benefits check up".
- CT Dept of Veterans Affairs - providing advocacy and assistance for Veterans and their families.
- Estuary Council of Seniors - providing nutrition, transportation, health support services, education opportunities, and socialization for the 9 town Estuary region.
- Gilead Community Services- providing mental health services for all of Middlesex County
- Shoreline Soup Kitchens -providing food and fellowship to those in need.
- Tri-Town Youth Services - creates and promotes programs for youth and families in the Essex, Deep River and Chester area.