Hours of Operation
To schedule a confidential intake appointment, please call anytime Tuesdays & Wednesdays 9a-12:30p.m, Thursdays 9a-12n. You may also call to schedule an after-hours appointment if needed. For those who are unable to come to our offices, Home visits may be requested as needed.
Mary Ellen Barnes
The mission of the Department of Social Services is to enhance the quality of life of Essex residents through support in meeting basic human needs and promoting services that foster self-sufficiency and economic independence.
We connect you to the essential resources of the community. These resources provide the support you may need, such as food, shelter, educational and employment opportunities, personal safety and access to health care services. The available services are diverse and support all ages.
- 211-InfoLine-Connecting Connecticut residents to community health and human resources.
- Care 4 Kids helps low to moderate income families in Connecticut pay for child care costs.
- CtHelpNet.org provides easy navigation to the web sites of the State of Connecticut, the Federal Government & private organizations that address the needs of senior citizens.
- Senior Resources is a strong voice for the region's elderly citizens. Through their involvement at the federal, state and local level we work to enhance the quality of life for older persons.
- The Connecticut Department of Social Services Aging Services Division website can help you learn about programs serving older adults and provides a “benefits check-up” to find out if you are missing out on benefits for which you are eligible. The check-u
- The Connecticut Department of Social Services website provides information on a variety of assistance programs for families with children, elders, people with disabilities, people with HIV/AIDS, and other adults.
- The HUSKY program provides health care for uninsured kids and youth in Connecticut.
- Welcome to ConneCT! - Offering Quick Access to the Department of Social Services- conneCT with DSS Today!