The Board of Selectmen are the chief elected and executive officers of the Town of Essex. Its responsibility covers a broad range of important municipal issues. The Board of Selectmen are responsible for the oversight and delivery of all general municipal services, including but not limited to Public Safety, Public Works, and general government (finance, personnel, building inspections, maintenance, senior services, legal, animal control, conservation, and veterans functions).
The Board of Selectmen act as the appointing authority for the many resident volunteers who serve on town boards and commissions. These Boards/Commissions assist in shaping and formulating Town policies on the environment, infrastructure assessment and improvement, growth and development issues, fair housing, senior citizens, finance, recreation, recycling, and personnel to name a few. In addition, appointment of department heads of various general agencies falls within their scope of responsibility as well.
The Board of Selectmen also act as the Town's licensing authority and reviews, hears and acts on all such requests. The Board reviews and approves Town Meeting warrants, payrolls, vendor payments, ballot questions, and reviews and approves contracts for procurement of services or materials. The Board of Selectmen also play a key role in litigation and employee contract negotiations.
The Board of Selectmen meet on the third Wednesday evening every month at 7:00 PM in Conference Room A located on the second floor of the Essex Town Hall.
|Maria Lucarelli||860-767-4340 x112|
- 2016 Town of Essex Holiday Schedule
- ADA Municipal Grievance Procedure
- Affirmative Action Policy Statement
- Americans with Disabilities Act ADA Notice
- Application for a Permit to Conduct a Bazaar or Raffle
- Fair Housing Policy Statement
- Lower CT River Valley Council of Governments (RiverCOG)
- Lower CT River Valley Council of Govts (RiverCog) 2106 Meeting Calendar
- Phone and Email List
- RFP for Purchase and Delivery of New Pumpout Boat
- Section 3 Plan
Frequently Asked Questions
- Public Invited to Attend a Joint Meeting on Sept 14th at the Essex Town Hall Auditorium
- CHIP SEALING ON DENNISON RD AND RIVER RD SCHEDULED TO BEGIN ON AUG 24TH
- MILLING SCHEDULED TO BEGIN ON THE FOLLOWING ROADWAYS ON MONDAY, AUG 29TH - weather permitting. Book Hill Rd., Mares Hill Rd., Hemlock Rd., Bittersweet Ln.
- Stone Being Stockpiled at Old Commuter Lot (Exit 3) for Chip Sealing Roadways
- Eversource Begins Summer Helicopter Inspections of Transmission Lines