Duties & Responsibilities
In accordance with CT General Statutes, the Assessor is responsible for discovering, listing and valuing all real and personal property within the Town. Real property includes land and improvements permanently attached to land. Personal property is all property not classified as real. For example, business equipment, unregistered motor vehicles, snow mobiles, etc. The Grand List must contain a listing of all taxable and tax-exempt property as of October 1st annually.
An Assessor must be certified in order to sign the Grand List. Certification can only be obtained after passing a comprehensive exam. A person is eligible to take the exam after successful completion of 5 courses and a minimum of 4 years experience in the assessment field.
The Assessor's office is responsible for the administration of certain tax relief programs for the elderly, totally disabled, and veterans of the military. We also accept applications to classify land as farm, forest, or open space.
- 2015 Motor Vehicle Tax Bill Changes
- Abutters Information
- Address Changes
- Board of Assessment Appeals Information
- Business / Personal Property Information
- Does the Town offer any kind of tax assistance to seniors?
- Downloadable Forms
- Essex GIS Mapping (works best with Chrome Browser)
- Essex Housing Data Profile
- How do I appeal my taxes?
- Important Dates and Miscellaneous Information
- Tax Deferral Program
- Tax Relief for Elderly and Totally Disabled Persons
- Vision Appraisal Essex Real Estate Database
- Connecticut Statewide Bus Study
- Essex Summer Concert Series 2016
- PUBLIC CAN ORDER ENGRAVED PAVERS TO HONOR VETERANS AT “CONNECTICUT STATE VETERANS MEMORIAL”
- Ivoryton Village Farmers Market every Saturday 10:00 am - 1:30 pm from June 18th thru Oct 15th
- LAND USE DEPT has been temporarily relocated to the auditorium while the department undergoes renovations and is open regular business hours M-F from 9-4