Duties & Responsibilities
In accordance with CT General Statutes, the Assessor is responsible for discovering, listing and valuing all real and personal property within the Town. Real property includes land and improvements permanently attached to land. Personal property is all property not classified as real. For example, business equipment, unregistered motor vehicles, snow mobiles, etc. The Grand List must contain a listing of all taxable and tax-exempt property as of October 1st annually.
An Assessor must be certified in order to sign the Grand List. Certification can only be obtained after passing a comprehensive exam. A person is eligible to take the exam after successful completion of 5 courses and a minimum of 4 years experience in the assessment field.
The Assessor's office is responsible for the administration of certain tax relief programs for the elderly, totally disabled, and veterans of the military. We also accept applications to classify land as farm, forest, or open space.
- 2014 Essex Personal Property Declaration
- 2014 Essex Personal Property Short Form
- 2014 Manufacturing Machinery and Equipment Exemption Claim Form
- Abutters Information
- Address Changes
- Board of Assessment Appeals Information
- Changes to Motor Vehicle Assessments
- Citizens Guide to the 2013 Revaluation of the Town of Essex
- Does the Town offer any kind of tax assistance to seniors?
- Downloadable Forms
- Essex Housing Data Profile
- Guide to your Assessment
- How do I appeal my taxes?
- Important Dates and Miscellaneous Information
- Tax Deferral Program
- Tax Relief for Elderly & Disabled
- Vision Appraisal Essex Real Estate Database
Frequently Asked Questions
- Informal Meeting on Proposed Plan for Regionalization, Friday, May 29th at 8:30 am, Essex Elementary School
- Insurance Matters, May 2015 Issue from the State of CT Insurance Dept.
- The 2015-16 Essex Town Budget Passed 5/11/15
- Construction in Ivoryton Village will continue thru end of June
- Proposed FY 2015-2016 Town Government Budget