Duties & Responsibilities
In accordance with CT General Statutes, the Assessor is responsible for discovering, listing and valuing all real and personal property within the Town. Real property includes land and improvements permanently attached to land. Personal property is all property not classified as real. For example, business equipment, unregistered motor vehicles, snow mobiles, etc. The Grand List must contain a listing of all taxable and tax-exempt property as of October 1st annually.
An Assessor must be certified in order to sign the Grand List. Certification can only be obtained after passing a comprehensive exam. A person is eligible to take the exam after successful completion of 5 courses and a minimum of 4 years experience in the assessment field.
The Assessor's office is responsible for the administration of certain tax relief programs for the elderly, totally disabled, and veterans of the military. We also accept applications to classify land as farm, forest, or open space.
- Abutters Information
- Address Changes
- Board of Assessment Appeals Information
- Business / Personal Property Information
- Does the Town offer any kind of tax assistance to seniors?
- Downloadable Forms
- Essex GIS Mapping (works best with Chrome Browser)
- How do I appeal my taxes?
- Important Dates and Miscellaneous Information
- M-3 Tax Exempt Return Charitable and certain Other Organizations
- Motor Vehicle Tax Bill Changes
- Tax Deferral Program
- Tax Relief for Elderly and Totally Disabled Persons
- Vision Appraisal Essex Real Estate Database
- Region 4 Budget Referendum -Tuesday, May 2nd at the Essex Town Hall Auditorium 12 pm - 8 pm. (Essex Residents)
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day, Sat April 29th 10am - 2pm. See link for locations.
- Pest Alerts from the Tree Warden
- The Opioid Epidemic! Evening of information on Monday, May 15th at the Centerbrook Meeting House.
- Essex Veterans Memorial Day Parade May 29th at 9am in Essex Village