The Planning Commission has approved a new Plan of Conservation & Development for 2015-2025
Hard-copy versions are available for review
and purchase in the Land Use Office
The Planning Commission is responsible for the development and implementation of the municipal Plan of Conservation and Development and for the review of subdivisions and re-subdivisions. It advises the Board of Selectmen regarding municipal projects and the Zoning Commission regarding changes to zoning maps or regulation. Click here to see the 2009 updates to the Plan of Conservation & Development.
The Commission generally meets the second Thursday of the month. Per the Connecticut General Statues the planning commission:
- Must prepare, amend and adopt a plan of conservation and development, showing the commission's recommendation for the most desirable use of land for residential, recreational, commercial, industrial and other purposes at least once every ten years.
- Must review and may make recommendations on all proposed municipal improvements, such as street locations or changes; public schools, parks and utilities; and public housing developments.
- May establish, change or repeal regulations for the subdivision and resubdivision of land.
- Determines whether the existing division of any land constitutes a subdivision or resubdivision.
- Hears, considers, and decides upon applications for approvals of the subdivision or resubdivision of land.
- The commission may waive certain requirements of the subdivision regulations when deciding upon applications for subdivision or resubdivision where special conditions exist, in accordance with standards and criteria set forth in the zoning regulations but only if the waiver will not adversely affect adjacent property with respect to public health and safety.
|John Guszkowski||Planner||860-767-4340 ext. 150 or 860-455-8251|
- 2017 Planning Commission Meeting Schedule
- Connecticut Main Street Center - Informational Presentation
- Essex Subdivision Regulations, effective July 2013
- GROWSMART - Regional Economic Growth Strategy Report 2016
- Historic Preservation Toolbox
- Plan of Conservation & Development 2015-2025 (Final Approved Version)
- PoCD Supplement, March 2014 - Architectural Design Review
- State Statutes for Planning Commissions
- State of CT Plan of Conservation and Development
- Subdivision Amendments effective 07/11/13
- Subdivision Fee Ordinance
- Subdivision Regulations
- Summary Recommendations from Architectural Subcommittee
- Transportation Study Volume I
- Transportation Study Volume II
- Transportation Study Volume III
- Valley Railroad State Park Economic Impact Study
- Walnut Street Bridge Presentation - March 22, 2016 Meeting
- Pest Alerts from the Tree Warden
- The Opioid Epidemic! Evening of information on Monday, May 15th at the Centerbrook Meeting House.
- Essex Veterans Memorial Day Parade May 29th at 9am in Essex Village
- Region 4 Budget Referendum - Tuesday, May 2nd at the Essex Town Hall Auditorium 12 pm - 8 pm. (Essex Residents)
- CT DPH RELEASES ANNUAL FISH ADVISORY, “IF I CATCH IT, CAN I EAT IT?”