Important Dates and Miscellaneous Information
February 1 to May 15, Annually - Filing period for the Elderly Homeowner or Totally Disabled applications; income limits apply.
February 1 to May 15, Annually - The filing period for Additional Veteran's Exemption. Income limits apply for this program.
May 15 - Deadline for application for Elderly Homeowner or Totally Disabled benefit (Circuit Breaker and Local Option Elderly). Anyone currently on the program who is due to file will receive a form in the mail. Proof of income is required when filing for these programs. Income includes all taxable, non-taxable, and social security income. Persons wishing to file must be 65 or over.
September 1 - We begin accepting applications for PA 490 (Farm, Forest, & Open Space) land classification
September 30 - Deadline for Veteran's to file their DD214 with the Town Clerk to obtain exemption on the October 1st Grand List
November 1 - All Personal Property Declarations must be filed by this date to avoid a 25% penalty.
Active Duty Servicepersons - Active Duty personnel stationed outside CT must file a written application for the exemption of one passenger motor vehicle. Forms are available at the Assessor's Office.
Veteran's having a disability rating must file the Veteran's Administration Disability letter with the Assessor's Office each year until the age of 65.
Blind and Totally Disabled exemption forms are available at the Assessor's Office.
Farm, Forest, and Local Option Open Space applications must be filed before October 31, Annually.
- Abutters Information
- Address Changes
- Board of Assessment Appeals Information
- Business / Personal Property Information
- Does the Town offer any kind of tax assistance to seniors?
- Downloadable Forms
- Essex GIS Mapping (works best with Chrome Browser)
- How do I appeal my taxes?
- Important Dates and Miscellaneous Information
- M-3 Tax Exempt Return Charitable and certain Other Organizations
- Motor Vehicle Tax Bill Changes
- Tax Deferral Program
- Tax Relief for Elderly and Totally Disabled Persons
- Vision Appraisal Essex Real Estate Database